Thursday, February 15, 2007

CLASS!?!?!? CLASS!?!?!?!? SHUT UP!!!!!!!

(title courtesy of Cheech and Chong)




One of the wonderful things about the English language is denotation and connotation.

Denotation de·no·ta·tion
–noun
the explicit or direct meaning or set of meanings of a word or expression. The denotation of “home” is the place where a person lives.
connotation con·no·ta·tion
–noun
the associated or secondary meaning of a word or expression in addition to its explicit or primary meaning: A possible connotation of “home” is “where the heart is."


As a teacher, I am fascinated with words that have similar denotations, and different connotations.


Such as?” you ask.

Hmmmmmm…….how about:

Urge and desire.
What is an urge? What about desire? Are they synonyms, shades of meaning? Or what? Of course, the first place I go is to the dictionary:

urge
–verb (used with object)
to push or force along; impel with force or vigor:
–verb (used without object)
to exert a driving or impelling force; give an impulse to haste or action
–noun
an involuntary, natural, or instinctive impulse

desire
–verb (used with object)
to wish or long for; crave; want
–noun
a longing or craving, as for something that brings satisfaction or enjoyment


Looking at the denotations of these words, they are similar. They both deal with forces, wishes, and longings.



Ahhhhh….but the connotations of each are so different. Urge is a baser word – more physical. An urge usually comes up suddenly; it can be fought and overcome. You can even ignore an urge; and when ignored, an urge usually dissipates.



-but desire; so different: desire grows from within – building, intensifying. Desire must be dealt with, even though you may choose to turn away from the object of your desire.
Urge……or desire?

5 comments:

Mustang said...

Dearest APJ...

It was a dark and stormy night, when I wandered into our favorite dark and dusky watering hole...

And there you were...

Those shoes! OWFG!!! I definitely knew that those shoes would generate an URGE in some kind soul who would DESIRE you till you feinted!!!

Well done APJ...keep kickin ass and takin names!

Mustang

lime said...

it comes to chocolate, there is no distinction....

Semi-Gloss Lacquer said...

...urge has hair on it.(and will break down the door.)
...desire wears cologne.(and calls for you to open.)

KIEN LIM said...

I always desire....

I can't remember the last time I had the urge.......

airplanejayne said...

mustang: From now on, I will always wear those shoes! I will kick ass, take names, and feint -- err, faint. ....cause the whole sword thing kinda sends me to the store....

Lime - chocolate is both an urge and desire

SGL: if only my students could use personification so exquisitely. ::knock!knock!:: Sorry....I must go answer the door.

::who's there?::

kien: hot fudge brownie ice cream. Denny's. Midnight.

Definitely urge in my book. go ahead....tell me I'm wrong....ha!