Sunday, May 24, 2009

Freeflying or Falling

I stand, toes dangling over the edge
feel air race up my thighs, close my eyes,
Damn –
I swear I hear the Wind beckon me, “Fly!”

“Ahhh...Wind,” I reply,
“Freefall is relatively painless
But that last foot? Done wrong can leave you brainless.”

But it’s safe here on the edge;
and with eyes closed and arms spread wide
it almost feels like a skydive
Wind beckons again, “Fly!”
So I lean into it
but damn

- I still remember
that painful last foot. Should have been fatal
though it wasn’t. Snapped a femur and filled a lung
but I guess I wasn’t done.
Brushed myself off, and raced to back to the edge.

Have I told you?
It’s safe here on the edge,
And with eyes closed and arms spread wide,
It almost feels like a skydive…
Wind beckons, “Come on, damn it! Fly!”
So I lean into it
but damn


- I still remember
that painful last foot.
It certainly felt fatal
but it wasn’t.
Shattered my confidence, splattered
my heart on the floor of the shower,
leaving me feeling power-
less
but nonetheless,
brushed myself off, and raced back to the edge.

Don’t you understand?
It’s so damn safe here on the edge,
Eyes clamped shut and fists raised wide
It almost feels like a skydive
Wind beckons, “You have got to fly!
Just let go and try,
And besides
You know what they say about the third time…”

So I lean into it,
but damn-

-how do a I know which three
it will be:
a strike or a charm?
Happiness or harm?

So, do you see now?
Do you see why I perch here on the edge?

Because it’s safe.

And it almost feels like a skydive.


If only the Wind would stop beckoning me, “Fly!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.

I think you've found your new Rogue show. Liesel will understand the competition.

But to comment on this amazing poem (and you know me, I'm brutally honest, I'd tell you if it sucked), I say:

One tough square foot of pain shouldn't tarnish the entire sky.

david mcmahon said...

That's great work.

lime said...

oh jayne, i've never lepat from a plane but oh i can feel it and how the sensation correlates to other things in life. i'm standing on my own edge right now...

thank you

Anonymous said...

I like the edge... sweetie you're awesome!

Anonymous said...

Phew! I feel like I made that jump with you.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

What a terrific poem...you keep me in suspense to the very end...and I feel your hesitation, indecision, and doubt...Beautifully done! Congrats on your POTD! ~Janine XO

Daryl said...

Great work .. and congrats on the POTD mention!

lecram said...

FLY!

airplanejayne said...

Thanks ya'll. This one had been floating :)
-around in my head for a week or so. I finally gave in, sat down and worked it out.

I'm pleased with it -- it says it all.